Friday, July 31, 2009

Life, At A Funeral

My grandpa's sister died in November a couple of years ago, and we buried her on a gloomy, rainy day - the day before Thanksgiving. My cousin's little girl flitted into the anteroom with her teddy bear and stole everybody's hearts. It seemed as though her tiny presence breathed new life-affirmation into everyone in the room. It really was an amazing experience, and something to see. The little poem I wrote on the back of her funeral announcement, and found it randomly one day this spring. Here goes:

Life at a Funeral

Dark, somber,
Howling wind and
crying rain.
I pass the body,
Laid out in pink
Sadness overwhelms me
Though
I barely knew her.

But then life, as it does
Tripped through the door,
Bundle of long curls and
Bright blue eyes –
Two feet tall perhaps
Clad in
pink
white dolly dangling
at her side.

Maybe the juxtaposition
Only occurs to me –
But I see it – the proof that
Life goes on.
Life, even at a funeral,
Prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment